Ways to Prevent Falls
Most people already know that falls are a leading cause of injuries for older adults. Many of the fall hazards are caused from things around home. There are a few changes you could make around your own home to make it safer for your loved one so you could prevent falls.
- Install handrails along staircases, hallways, and any other places your loved one might need a little more support.
- Use non-slip mats to improve traction. Put them on the bathroom floors, in the shower, outside where it could be slippery.
- Install grab bars near showers, bathtubs, and toilets. Using the grab bars that are attached to wall studs are much more reliable than the ones that just stick to the walls.
- Repair any flooring that is loose or uneven. Make sure that you secure any carpet that is loose or misfitting.
- Improve lighting in hallways, stairways, and any other place your loved one may be walking during the middle of the night.
- Make sure that there is no clutter or anything on the floor for them trip on. Make sure that all rugs are properly secured to the floor.
Here at Heritage Village Assisted Living we have great apartments that are safe for your loved ones and we also are there to make sure that in case your loved one does have a fall they will have help and proper care.
Heritage Village Assisted Living and Memory Care
8035 East Brown Road Mesa, Arizona 85207
Visit Our Website
Like us on Facebook